We're sad. We gave Isla away today. I can't believe it. Yet at the same time, we're excited because we know it's the right thing. I posted an add on Craigs List, seriously not expecting anyone to respond. 2 people did right away - 1 I ignored because the email made me feel like it wouldn't be the best situation. The other, which was actually the 1st email I got, seemed really good ... she said they lived on a 10 acre farm and had 2 dogs - another chocolate lab and a blue heeler, both they adopted as adults. So they new what they were getting into with having more than 1 dog, and with getting an adult dog. I responded with a bit more details about Isla, and she responded even more excited. We talked that night (Tuesday) and she came to pick her up today. It all happened so fast that we are a bit in shock. While we had talked about the possibility of getting rid of her, I didn't think we'd go through with it. This situation just seems too perfect for Isla.
We had not been giving our dogs the life we wanted. I know, that sounds cheesy, especially if you're not a dog lover like we are. But the 2 of them would rev each other up and it was simply too much having them up in the house with us very often. And that made us sad. We want a dog to be apart of the family - not out in the back yard all the time. With 1 dog, that's possible.
Isla's new home is a 10 acre farm, about an hour away. They've trained dogs in the past, and train horses. And they love their dogs. I told the lady if they are ever in the position of needing to get rid of Isla, to please call us first. She smiled and said that is exactly what they tell people when they sell a horse. That made me feel even better.
So while we're sad, we really do feel like we've done the right thing.
So we're back to 1 dog - and Mattie is back to the spoiled life! :)
2 comments:
Oh, I'm sad too, but I think y'all made the right decision. My dad & I talked a lot about that while you were gone (he was often the one who came with me to feed them, since we only had one car) - it was clear that it wouldn't work with both of them together in the house, but you couldn't give Isla what she needed either. I'm so happy for her, and for Mattie, and for you guys - I know you've missed having Mattie around the girls more. Isla sounds like she's with a fantastic family, and she will be well-loved by them.
awww... I'm sure that was a tough decision. How is Mattie doing?
Post a Comment