Tuesday, August 5, 2008

We decided to have Isla spayed. Her surgery was yesterday, so I picked her up from the vet after lunch today. I love our vet. I'm greeted by name, they comment on Sarah, they love the fact that we take good care of our dogs (it's a bit of a red neck area and lots of animals aren't well taken care of), etc. So I'm getting the spiel of no running, jumping, don't let her play with Mattie for at least 4 days. Ok got it. She then goes to get Isla while I head to the car to load Sarah up. Isla comes bounding out of the vet and LEAPS into the back of the Subaru. No jumping runs through my head. Oops. I shut the back hatch, and Isla immediately bounds to the front seat to be ready for me to get in the car. Um that would fall under no jumping as well. The girl then looked at me and said "Good luck." aka - YEAH RIGHT can you keep that dog from running and jumping. She said it took 3 of them to hold Isla down to get the anesthesia in her because she wanted to play!! She said Isla was one of the sweetest, but most energetic dogs they'd ever spayed. All I could think is GOOD THING we haven't taken Mattie in because she's worse!!!!

We'll see how these next 4 days go. And for those who are wondering - initially we had said we'd get Mattie spayed and let Isla have a litter of puppies in a few years. Our vet talked to me about the health benefits of getting a dog spayed before her 1st heat; and said after 3 heat cycles, there's no time sensitive benefits to it. So, we basically figured it's too late for Mattie so might as well help Isla out. Our thought is maybe a year from now, breed Mattie one more time with the same daddy dog. We'll see where our sanity level is and decide.

No comments: